Right now you and others within your organization may have some nagging questions. Do these sound familiar? Who will replace Cheryl, the Finance Director, when she retires later this year? How about when Jose, the Water Services Foreman, does as well, who will replace him? Who are your agency’s next group of Fire Battalion Chiefs and Police Sergeants?
It’s not enough to do more recruiting. It’s also crucial to analyze which retirements will be most difficult to respond to; to identify which skills and competencies will be needed in the future; to facilitate knowledge transfer from the more seasoned workers to younger ones (such as through a mentoring program, training, job rotations, or coaching); and to develop leadership skills and create a succession pool. In our work with agencies we have found succession planning and management to be more successful if, instead of selecting high-potential candidates first and then developing them, to develop people first and then select.
The Mejorando Group partners with organizations of all sizes helping them improve aspects of their Succession Planning and Management Process. Our extensive experience in government permits us to “hit the ground running” and our approach is practical and results-based enabling your organization to experience immediate positive dividends.
Our Focus is on Your Needs
While there are core elements common to effective succession planning and management systems, they vary considerably across organizations and there is no “best” plan. The most effective plans are tailored to specific organizational needs and simply borrowing succession plans from other successful organizations is unlikely to meet your unique needs.
At the Mejorando Group, we are able to address your agency’s particular needs and implement solutions that will have an immediate and long-term impact. We accomplish this by evaluating and strengthening the six factors of Succession Planning and Management (as noted in the following diagram) both independently and interdependently. The result is an aligned and systematic approach to building and developing people-talent ensuring your organization can provide high-quality public services.
Our solutions for public agencies have included a number of strategies and tactics designed to strengthen their Succession Planning and Management system. Some of these include:
- Improving Recruitment activities including installing an on-line/web based application processes, linking agency resources with local colleges and universities for internships and candidate pools, and revising merit system rules.
- Revamping Selection and Placement techniques to include behavioral interviewing skills, assessment centers and on-boarding programs for new hires.
- Establishing an Individual Development Plan (IDP) process that outlines planned activities that narrow the gap between what the individual can already do and what they should do to meet future work requirements. These IDPs are tailored to the unique needs of each employee and focus on three major categories: work experiences and assignments, coaching, and educational courses and seminars.
- Designing a Leadership Academy comprised of training workshops geared to both the new and seasoned supervisors.
- Creating and delivering skill-building training workshops enabling participants to improve performance immediately back on the job.
- Revising job competencies to reflect skill sets required for the present and future organization.
- Strengthening performance management/appraisal system with new evaluation instruments, quarterly performance reviews, employee-manager goal setting, self-assessments, and individual employee development plans.
- Creating a complete Development Program for Managers including a mentoring program and job-rotation assignments.
- Crafting a Rewards and Recognition Program that aligns expected behaviors with desired performance.
- Designing and facilitating off-site meetings of executives to address possible reservations by key decision-makers about the perceived need for succession planning and to secure commitment for a succession planning process going forward.
Contact us immediately and together we will help you “get better all the time” with a robust and powerful Succession Planning and Management Process.
The Mejorando Group is uniquely qualified to meet your organization’s succession planning and management needs. Our comprehensive approach, based on years of experience with scores of organizations, ensures you have an effective succession planning and management program.
We achieve our mission with our client-partners by providing a range of services intended to accelerate their organization’s succession planning and management process. These include:
- Evaluating your current succession planning and management processes to determine how to best target future efforts.
- Designing improvements and assisting with implementation of solutions that address the core elements of an effective succession planning and management system. These elements include:
- Competency Development
- Designing and Facilitating Off-Site Meetings to engage senior management in a healthy, hearty discussion about the severity of the knowledge flight from the organization, secure their commitment and prepare plans to address it.
- Presenting Keynote Addresses to raise the issue among a group of professionals as a way to galvanize action.
"Patrick really understands current workforce planning issues and what it takes to resolve them. What I find most interesting and helpful about working with Patrick is how he's able to relate his real-life work experience to our specific challenges. The Mejorando Group impressed us in the competitive selection process, and they came through in a timely manner with a systematic and comprehensive workforce planning program, and Patrick is continuing to consult with us as we put his recommendations into place."
Keith J. Hunke