You don't have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
This web site makes use of Adobe® Flash™ software. You have an old version of Adobe Flash Player that cannot play the content we've created.
Why not download and install the latest version now? It will only take a moment.
Adobe and Flash are trademarks of Adobe, Inc.
Nationwide, over 46% of local government employees are 45 years or older. Almost 30% of current state government employees will retire within the next 2 years. Right now, 53% of federal government employees are eligible for retirement. How about your organization? Are you attending retirement parties about every week? Is your organization chart in a constant state of revision? Unsure of what to do to impact these trends? Adopting and implementing a comprehensive and systematic Succession Planning and Management Process is the solution you need and the Mejorando Group is the partner who can help.
What is Succession Planning and
More than simply replacing positions that become vacant, succession planning is an ongoing process of identifying, assessing, and developing talent to ensure leadership and management continuity throughout an organization. It ensures that replacements have been prepared to fill key vacancies on short notice, and that individuals have the development capacity to assume greater responsibilities and exercise increased technical proficiency and expanded management role in their work.
According to a recent survey of government organizations by IPMA-HR, less than 22% currently have a Succession Plan in place. Is your agency one of the 22% that does or the other 78% that doesn’t have a plan in place? The benefits to those agencies with a system in place include:
- Having identified leadership and front-line bench strength in place helps the organization meet both long-term and emergency leadership needs at all levels.
- Growing internal leaders sends a positive message throughout the workforce. Promoting people is good for morale and essential to a positive organizational culture. People will want to join and stay with the organization since it develops its own people.
- The organizations have a clearer sense of an internal candidate’s strengths and opportunities for improvement as well as access to more and better data on that person’s performance than they would with outside candidates. Therefore, they are able to make more informed and accurate selection decisions.
- It helps align human resources with strategic directions of the organization
What Your Organization Will Gain
By strengthening current Succession Planning and Management efforts or instituting a new Process all together, you will achieve several key objectives that help your organization reach its optimum performance. These objectives include:
- Employee skills, knowledge and expertise are enhanced via targeted training and development activities;
- Candidates for employment are properly evaluated to ensure each has the appropriate talent and fit for the city organization;
- Position/Job descriptions accurately reflect the competencies necessary for high performance;
- Performance management/appraisal system is in alignment with organizational goals, and supervisors and managers equipped to deliver timely, relevant and practical feedback; and
- Compensation system is aligned with organizational goals and employees are properly rewarded for achieving desired results.
The overall result will ensure that the right staff are in the right jobs at the right times and that your organization’s performance will be maintained.
How We Can Help
Click here to find out how we can help your organization respond effectively to the upcoming “brain drain” by executing an effective and targeted Succession Planning and Management Process.
"When we realized we'd be losing a record number of long-term employees to retirement within 5 to 10 years, succession planning and knowledge transfer became crucial priorities for Fort Collins Utilities. To ensure our business continuity, we hired Patrick Ibarra of the Mejorando Group to develop a strategic and practical Knowledge Management Transfer Program. He interviewed a number of incumbents in our department, and documented the professional skill sets necessary to perform successfully in those roles. Patrick also did a remarkable job of capturing the nuances of leadership, collaboration, and other qualities that are difficult to explain but necessary for things to keep running smoothly. We're confident that the comprehensive Knowledge Management Transfer Program he prepared for us will ensure the long-term success of our department."